Monday, June 16, 2008

Homemade hand soap

I'm sure that everyone has noticed the rising; gas, milk, egg prices etc....
So I have been thinking, where I can save some money?
I am going to price this out to compare:
a 12 pack of Ivory soap $2.47
glycerin 6oz $2.84
water

I only used 1 bar of soap 0.20
1 teaspoon(1/3 of an ounce) of glycerin 0.16
total cost 0.36 cents
for six cups of liquid hand soap.

I did not price hand soap a the store so here it is from the web

Soft soap refill 40oz $7.79 @ drugstore.com
$ 7.79 divide by 40oz is 0.19 cents an ounce

Our homemade soap made 6 cups so that is 6 times 8oz = 48 ozs
So 0.36 cents for 48oz divided by 48oz = 0.0075 per ounce so less that 1 cent an ounce
Not too bad.

Ok so here is where I got my recipe

You see my purchases.
I just used my kitchen grater, and then washed in the dishwasher and it was very clean :)
then I put one cup boiling water and the grated soap bar in my blender, blended then let rest... after 20minutes added the glycerin, then added water to fill up to the six cup mark.
I just poured it in a container for now. I did refill some of our soap pumps with it and it's working great, I will see how the family likes it over time.
Very simple and makes me feel good about saving some money around here.
Let me know if you try it out and what you think?

No comments: